Monday, January 24, 2011

Just the Beginning

Well, it wasn't until after the demo and install of cabinets that I realized this truly is just the beginning of what we have in store for our entire 1st floor of the house. You see, we've lived here for 14 years and still have builders paint on the ceiling and some rooms upstairs. Getting "somebody" to do home improvements on my time frame has been a challenge for the first 14 years I've been married to that "somebody." "Somebody" just doesn't understand how my OCD really kicks in when things are askew or incomplete. You would think that that "somebody" would like to live life in peace and serenity.

That "somebody" instead chooses to live life on the edge and thus, our renos won't be complete for another 5 months or so. It's good thing I married a man who doesn't drop the word divorce at the slightest eyebrow raise. We would have been divorced a million times already and the "fun" is about to begin!

So, to recap from my last blog entry of my life, two days is about all it took to tear out the cabinets and island wall. We had a functioning sink but no dishwasher. We had a functioning fridge but no stove. Fortunately for us, Rick cooked a huge pot of stew (my absolute FAV dish he cooks) and we at sammwiches and stew for several days. Until we ran out, on Wednesday.

Then commenced the excitement of just where would we have our next meal! I mean, how often do you get to eat out several nights in a row? For a fat girl, this is nirvana!! Italian one night, Mexican the next, ooh ooh Houlihans! Oh yea, BBQ! Oh and Pizza!! After several nights of this the last thing you want to do is eat out. A piece of bread cooked on high in the microwave is more appetizing than another greasy french fry.

We ate out almost every meal for 6 days. And my jeans feel it. :(

So back to the reno. Below is a summary of what went on those days and some pics. Hope you enjoy!

Day Houlihan's - Jan 12 2011
Tien from Rockywood Cabinets calls at 8:30 to ask if it is okay if they begin installing cabinets today. That would be all fine and dandy but they aren't scheduled to come until tomorrow and Rick hasn't done any of the electrical work or removed the sink. We rush through our morning routine and get downstairs and we begin working. The guys come and build our new island wall. It is about 18 inches longer than the old island and will be split level with a bar. They used one of those gun nail thingy tools. So I can say someone shot off a bullet in my house. Here are two of the shells:



One of the workers is Hispanic and the other one is Chinese (his name was Ben). It was very interesting to hear them speak to each other. It was English but not. So, Ben had brought in this very ornate box and set it on top of the stove. I looked it over and couldn't figure out what it was. I thought "Maybe this is an ancient piece to invite peace and stability over the project. Maybe it is used to ward off evil." You know like a Feng Shui thing or something.



Much to my embarrassment when I asked Ben what it was and he showed me it's true purpose. It held his tea packets, tea strainer, iPod and speakers. :/

The day went off without a hitch. Rick got the electric finished, the sink out, and the workers got some cabinetry in.


Here Callie and Alex are checking out the cabinets.


This is pretty much how we lived until Saturday. Nine days later and I am still finding dust from this project. :(



Wednesday was fairly tiring so we went to Houlihan's for a nice and relaxing dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment